Sunday, June 20, 2010

Peanut-Crusted Tilapia over Garlic Noodles



When life gives you lemons, make Peanut Crusted Tilapia...


Odd life here in paradise.  Surrounded by ocean on one side, Caribbean Sea on the other, you would think I would be able to get all the fresh sea food you could imagine.  But, not to be.  For a variety of reasons, unless you want to pay $20 a pound or more, the freshest seafood is in the freezer case.  So, my dreams of fresh fish everyday have been dashed over the last few months...


But, my techniques and recipes for the standard freezer case fish have greatly improved.


Like this little tasty morsel...


Crunchy and savory on the outside, sweet and tender on the inside.  And paired with the noodles, it is now one of my favorites.


Here's what I did...


4 Tilapia Fillets
1/2 cup Peanuts (ran through my mini-chopper)
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper


1/2 inch of Canola Oil in the bottom of a frying pan




Set up a dipping station... 


Flour and pepper mix on a plate followed by...
Beaten eggs in a bowl
Followed the finely chopped peanuts on a plate


Dredge the fish through the flour... Dip in the egg... coat with the peanuts




Fry for 3 minutes on each side... NO MORE


3 minutes per side.  The peanuts will get crispy, and the fish will be cooked throughout, yet still very flakey


3 minutes per side, honest!




The garlic noodles are becoming a staple around here.  Incredible flavor, and wonderful with the fish... just looks pretty!




I did a very detailed post on the Garlic Noodles (ala Marthe, from CULINARY DELIGHTS).  Click HERE for that recipe.


And i dare someone who is paying attention to say "Noodles, fish and nuts... Hey loudmouth, I thought you were in that 101 days of summer challenge.  Did you quit already and gave up salads, fruits or veggies???"


Go ahead, say it...


But then, come back Tuesday for my "REAL FOODS", Two for Tuesday post when I show you the salad I made to accompany this meal...


...

8 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'm making tilapia later this week. I think that I will give your peanut-crusted tilapia a try. You have become a master of fish. I'm still stuck in fish being too soft or too dry. Three minutes per side. Got it. Nice salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Noodle, fish and nuts! Plus that gorgeous, colorful salad! Too bad about the fresh fish. I heard it was like that in Costa Rica too, most of the fresh fish is exported.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious Dave. I'm surprised about the fish situation as well - guess they make enough on tourism as to not need a fishing industry. What type nuts did you use? raw or roasted, jarred or in the shell, salted or not? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, this recipe sounds wonderful! Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sending it along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Father's Day, Dave. Your fish looks extraordinary and you continue to amaze me with your creativity. It's a shame you haven't been able to get fish there. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That looks really good! Hope you are having a wonderful Father's Day today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's crazy!! Not even a good place to throw out a line in paradise? Who knew!? Oh well, gotta say the meal looks great! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely fish Dave. I made a nut crusted tilapia recently and we liked it very much.

    Living on an island surrounded by the sea and fish makes one think they practically jump out of the water. Not true, as you know. When we lived in the Bahamas, fresh fish was expensive whether you bought it or caught it yourself (using expensive gas in your boat).
    Sam

    ReplyDelete