Thursday, July 22, 2010

Creole Remoulade Sauce for "the Project"



Crack your knuckles and gird your loins for an opportunity to perfect your knife skills.


Although in reality, a rough chop is fine, as your blender (or one day soon, my food processor) does all the real work.


And fair warning... This is a series, several items will be made with the "sauce of the gods" over the next few days.  Each and everyone a winner...


Like this...


But you will have to come back to see my take on coconut Shrimp.  Today, it's all about the sauce...


Remoulade is a French sauce.  The French version surrenders all the extra tastes and flavors that goes into the Creole sauce (I had to think for a few minutes to get the obvious "French and surrender" words in the same sentence).  The French sauce is a white sauce, closer to English tarter sauce.  Originally it was used as a condiment for a meat course.  It is primarily mayonnaise based.


But the Creole's experimented and came up with a spicier, tastier sauce.  It is most often served with shrimp.  Most often as the sauce to pair with a shrimp cocktail.

Like this...




Here's my recipe I use to make my own Remoulade sauce...

3 TBS spicy whole grain Mustard
3 TBS BBQ Sauce (can use ketchup)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped Green Onions
1/2 cup chopped Yellow Onion
1/2 cup chopped Celery
Juice of 2 Lemons
Zest from 1 Lemon
2 TBS Parsley
2 TBS prepared Horseradish
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

I used a blender, you can use a food processor... Just add everything and process until mostly smooth... about 30 seconds.  You want small chunks of the vegetables in the goo, so do not over process.



Plenty of heat.  The cayenne pepper and the horseradish will power this sauce.


So useful.  Shrimp is the obvious use, but just about anything you would consider using mustard on, remoulade is a spicy alternative.  I am wetting my lips in anticipation of a remoulade encrusted pork loin ran through my smoker.  but that is a post for next month.


Come back tomorrow to see the MANY uses for this...


Sauce of the gods!




...

4 comments:

  1. Remoulade sauces are so very special. The first, and actually only remoulade I've made is Chef Paul's recipe. I couldn't believe my taste buds when I first tried it....and with shrimp, oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will clear your sinuses ~ my favorite kind of sauce! I usually make a remoulade sauce with crab cakes, but the shrimp are an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave, did you check out the winner on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen late last night? It's a separate post after my pasta salad and before Krista's potato salad. Check it out... then shoot me an email. I *should* have yours somewhere, shouldn't I?
    Can't come up with it...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a remoulade but have never had any thing but the Creole kind. Love it on po'boys, crab cakes, or hell....just a spoon is fine!

    ReplyDelete