Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Florida Hurricane - New Orleans Mardi Gras Cocktail - 52 Backyard Drinks


Alright, let's address the pink elephant in the room... This is a wimpy version of the classic New orleans drink.  I am old as dirt, and about as opinionated about things as an old as dirt guy deserves to be.  In my youth I could slam down a Hurricane made with 151 Rum, Grand Marnier, More rum, and more and more.  I have seen recipes (and drank 'em) with up to 7 ounces of booze in a glass.  If you are headed to New Orleans and want to experience that... Do it.  Just for me and my guests, I prefer not to end up puking in the bushes.  A real authentic New Orleans Hurricane has a reputation... and it deserves it.

Now, these on the other hand are refreshing.  Just enough booze to make a party festive.

So instead of 7 ounces of booze... only 2.  And even that can be cut in half if you like or simply left out and make virgin versions.

Yeap, it's a wimpy drink.  But certainly tasty and festive.  And I LIKE 'EM!

Life in the Cul-de-Sac.

One other change, I prefer Orange Juice instead of the more traditional Passion Fruit juice.  Easier and cheaper to find, and for me, just makes a tastier drink.  So the "Florida" in the name Florida Hurricane could either mean Florida Orange Juice... Or it could mean the other well known Florida tradition of Florida Seniors and their feisty attitude about knowing and liking what they like.

I make these a lot and I LIKE 'EM!


OK... Here's what I did...


Florida Hurricane


Ingredients
  • 1 OZ Coconut Rum
  • 1 OZ Dark Rum
  • 1 Cup Orange Juice (can substitute Passion Fruit Juice)
  • 1 OZ Lime Juice
  • 1 OZ Grenadine
  • Splash Maraschino Cherry Juice (Can substitute 1 OZ Honey)
  • Be creative with Garnishes... Maraschino Cherries, Pineapple Chunks, Orange Slices, even Mangoes and Papayas
Cooking Directions
  1. I like to make pitchers of these, simply multiply the ingredients by 8 and stir to mix.
  2. For a single cocktail, combine all liquid ingredients in a shaker glass with a generous amount of ice.
  3. Shake like heck.
  4. Pour into a Hurricane or Tulip glass with ice.
  5. Garnish with a long skewer with plenty of Fruit... Especially the Cherries. Love the Cherries.
  6. If serving a pitcher, have several skewers of fruit ready, along with glasses filled with ice.
  7. And ENJOY

Fat Tuesday is coming, followed by Ash Wednesday... Better enjoy a Florida Hurricane now!

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my Growing list of  "52 Grilling Time Secret Extras" or "52 Ways to Cook BBQ and Grilling Recipes"!!!

Well over 52 recipes actually as I just can't stop... Over 100 in one grilling season (I love to grill!). But not just leat... Drinks, Condiments (LOTS of different BBQ sauces), Drinks, Desserts... even specialty items like GRILLED Pizza, and fun shaped Watermelons.  Easy and these ideas will make you the MASTER of your Backyard Domain!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment